Kiss Me Mow Chicken
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Broiler fryer chicken||4 Pound|
|Mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, rinsed, trimmed|
|Celery pieces||6 (1 Inch Each)|
|Cooking sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Half-and-half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dill weed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salad oil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Pluck the cloves apart from the garlic head and drop them into boiling water. Let boil for 30 minutes.
2) Strain the water and set aside for basting later. Spread the cloves on a plate and allow to cool.
3) When pressed at the sharp end the peel easily slides off and the clove crushes into a slight paste. Place all the peeled cloves in a bowl and discard the skins.
4) On a large cutting board, place the whole chicken and sever the membranes connecting the skin to the body of the chicken. Pull out excess fat off.
5) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking tray.
6) In the bowl containing the garlic, add pepper and dill weed. Mix well.
7) Take half of the above mixture and place it under the skin, patting it gently all the way to distribute the mixture evenly.
8) Stuff the remaining mixture inside its skin and place the stuffed chicken on the baking tray.
9) Stuff the trimmed mushrooms into the cavity of the chicken and place the celery pieces on the tray, around the chicken.
10) Bake for 1 1/2 hours using the garlic water to baste the chicken every 15-20 minutes.
11) Once baked, remove the mushrooms from the chicken and place the latter on a serving platter.
12) Chop the mushrooms fine. Discard the celery but pour the dripping from the tray into a saucepan. Add in flour and mix well. Pour sherry, half-and-half and drop in the chopped mushroom. Cook till the sauce thickens while stirring continuously.
13) Carve the chicken into quarters and serve with the mushroom sauce.
14) Serve hot cornbread, biscuits, rice, pasta, potatoes or grits alongside.
Calories 1147 Calories from Fat 684
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 76 g117%
Saturated Fat 24 g119.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 362.6 mg120.9%
Sodium 421.8 mg17.6%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.7%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 90 g180.3%
Vitamin A 22.8% Vitamin C 32.2%
Calcium 19.8% Iron 30.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet