Poached Chicken With Vegetables
|Roasting chicken||5 Pound|
|New potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned chicken broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chives||2 Bunch (200 gm)|
1. Remove giblets from chicken rinse giblets and set aside on paper towels.
2. Rinse chicken well and dry with paper towels.
3. Sprinkle inside with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt and the pepper, tuck wings under body and tie legs together.
4. With a skewer if necessary, fasten skin at neck.
5. Halve leeks crosswise and set aside.
6. In 1/4 cup hot butter in Dutch oven, brown chicken well all over for about 30 minutes.
7. Turn chicken carefully with two wooden spoons without breaking skin.
8. Coarsely chop giblets, wash leeks well cut off roots and discard.
9. Remove some of top leaves and add to giblets.
10. Place giblet-leek mixture under browned chicken.
11. Cover tightly and simmer over low heat 30 minutes.
12. Arrange carrots (halved, if necessary) around the chicken and simmer, covered, 40 minutes longer until chicken and carrots are tender and remove from heat.
13. In medium saucepan cook potatoes in 1 inch boiling salted water, covered for 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
14. Drain and then drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
15. In medium saucepan cook halved leeks in 1 inch boiling water, covered, 10 minutes until tender.
16. Drain and drizzle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
17. Carefully remove chicken and carrots to heated platter and keep warm.
18. Strain drippings return to Dutch oven and stir in flour until smooth.
19. Gradually stir in wine and chicken broth and bring to boiling.
20. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3 minutes.
21. Taste and add salt, if needed.
22. Arrange potatoes, leeks and bunches of chives around chicken and carrots.
23. Sprinkle potatoes with parsley and serve passing gravy.