Chicken and Lentil Stew with Rosemary
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken thighs||8 Medium, skin removed and discarded|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Dried rosemary||4 Teaspoon, crushed (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Dried basil||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Celery ribs||2 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cored, seeded, and diced|
|Red potatoes||2 Medium, unpeeled and quartered|
|Squash||1 , peeled, seeded, and diced (Delicatta)|
|Lentils||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), thoroughly rinsed|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Spinach||1⁄2 Pound, roughly chopped, washed, and drained|
1) Take a Dutch oven and heat it over high flame.
2) Place 4 of the chicken thighs in it with the bone upwards after patting them dry.
3) Sear the chickens and turn them once in between until there is a golden crust formed on top.
4) Remove them from heat and place the remaining 4 pieces of chicken in oven treating them similarly.
5) Lower heat, add onion and sautÃ© it until it becomes soft.
6) Add garlic and sautÃ© it until it releases the fragrance.
7) Add the thyme, rosemary and basil and sautÃ© all the ingredients for Â½ an hour.
8) Add the potatoes, carrots, red bell peppers, celery and squash along with salt.
9) Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
10) Add the lentils just before returning the golden chicken to pot.
11) Stir the ingredients properly and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
12) Increase the heat and pour in the wine simmering for about 5 minutes until the wine evaporates.
13) Add the water or stock and allow stew to boil.
14) Lower heat and simmer it for 30-45 minutes until the lentils get soft.
15) Add the spinach and cook for a further minute.
16) Take a large sized serving platter and place the chicken in it.
17) Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon it over the chicken before serving.