Chicken and Lentil Stew with Rosemary
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken thighs||8 Medium, skin removed and discarded|
|Spanish onion||1 , peeled and diced|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), peeled and finely chopped|
|Dried rosemary||4 Teaspoon, crushed (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Dried basil||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Carrots||2 Medium, scrubbed and diced|
|Celery ribs||2 , diced|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, cored, seeded, and diced|
|Red potatoes||2 Medium, unpeeled and quartered|
|Squash||1 , peeled, seeded, and diced (Delicatta)|
|Lentils||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), thoroughly rinsed|
|Dry red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Spinach||1⁄2 Pound, roughly chopped, washed, and drained|
1) Take a Dutch oven and heat it over high flame.
2) Place 4 of the chicken thighs in it with the bone upwards after patting them dry.
3) Sear the chickens and turn them once in between until there is a golden crust formed on top.
4) Remove them from heat and place the remaining 4 pieces of chicken in oven treating them similarly.
5) Lower heat, add onion and sautÃ© it until it becomes soft.
6) Add garlic and sautÃ© it until it releases the fragrance.
7) Add the thyme, rosemary and basil and sautÃ© all the ingredients for Â½ an hour.
8) Add the potatoes, carrots, red bell peppers, celery and squash along with salt.
9) Lower heat and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
10) Add the lentils just before returning the golden chicken to pot.
11) Stir the ingredients properly and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
12) Increase the heat and pour in the wine simmering for about 5 minutes until the wine evaporates.
13) Add the water or stock and allow stew to boil.
14) Lower heat and simmer it for 30-45 minutes until the lentils get soft.
15) Add the spinach and cook for a further minute.
16) Take a large sized serving platter and place the chicken in it.
17) Season the sauce with salt and pepper and spoon it over the chicken before serving.
Calories 840 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.6%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.6%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 136.1 mg45.4%
Sodium 843.4 mg35.1%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.4%
Dietary Fiber 27.5 g110%
Sugars 14.9 g
Protein 61 g121.5%
Vitamin A 243.3% Vitamin C 167.5%
Calcium 30.7% Iron 75.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet