Olive and Lemon Studded Chicken
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, halved and slivered|
|Onions||2 Medium, slivered (1 Inch)|
|Garlic||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Saffron threads||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon (3 Inch)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Chickens||7 Pound, each cut into 10 serving pieces, wing tips trimmed (Two 3 1/2 Pound Each Pieces)|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs), defatted|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 Package)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 (3 Inches Long)|
|Lemon||1 , preserved (1 Can)|
|Black olives||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), rinsed (Imported)|
|Green olives||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), rinsed (Imported)|
|Preserved lemon||1 , pulp discarded, rind cut into very thin slivers|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) In a large heavy pot, saute the onions in heated olive oil over a medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until wilted.
2) Stir in the garlic, saffron, cumin, ginger, and cayenne, then stir and cook for further 2 minutes.
3) Rinse and remove any excess fat from the chickens, and pat dry.
4) Stir into the pot alongwith the chicken broth, lemon juice, and cinnamon sticks.
5) Allow to boil, then partially cover and cook over a medium-low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6) Stir in the olives and preserved lemon slivers, then partially cover and cook for another 20 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
7) When ready to serve, stir in the salt and parsely, then adjust the seasonings.
8) Serve hot on individual serving plates.
Calories 1966 Calories from Fat 1207
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 135 g207.7%
Saturated Fat 35.4 g176.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 595.3 mg198.4%
Sodium 1679.7 mg70%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.5%
Sugars 10.3 g
Protein 152 g303.5%
Vitamin A 30.3% Vitamin C 87.9%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 47.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet