|Whole chicken||5 Pound (1 Bird)|
|Defatted chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs) (Homemade Or Canned)|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and cut into 3 or 4 pieces|
|Parsley stems||5 (Several Stems, No Leaves)|
|Yellow onion||1 , peeled and stuck with 2 cloves|
|Parsnips||3 , peeled, cut in 2 or 3 pieces|
|White turnips||2 , cut into eighths|
|Carrots||2 , peeled, cut in half lengthwise, then each length cut into 3 pieces|
|New potatoes||6 (In Their Jackets)|
|Small green beans||1⁄2 Pound|
|Prepared horseradish||3 Ounce (1 Jar)|
1. Rinse the chicken under water thoroughly.
2. In a large heavy pot, place the chicken and cover with cold water.
3. Place the pot on heat and bring to the boil. Do not cover.
4. Boil for 5 minutes, and discard the water.
5. Now pour the broth on the chicken to cover it.
6. Add the carrot, celery, parsley stems, and studded onion to this.
7. Simmer the mixture, partially covered, about 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours , until the leg moves easily and the chicken is tender.
8. Turn off the heat and let the chicken cool in the broth.
9. With a large spoon, remove the chicken and discard the cooking vegetables.
10. Also strain the broth to remove the fat.
11. Cook separately each garnish vegetable in the microwave -- parsnips, white turnips, carrots, new potatoes in their jackets and green beans, in some of the chicken broth. Keep aside.
12. Remove the chicken skin and cut the meat off the bones.
13. Slice the meat and arrange on a platter with the cooked vegetables around it.
14. Heat the strained broth again.
15. Season the broth and serve it as a first course.
16. Follow it up with the chicken and vegetables.
17. Serve the horseradish separately along with it.
Calories 1481 Calories from Fat 776
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 86 g132.3%
Saturated Fat 24.5 g122.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 425.2 mg141.7%
Sodium 1732.8 mg72.2%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 12.7 g50.8%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 118 g236.1%
Vitamin A 172.3% Vitamin C 99.5%
Calcium 31.9% Iron 42%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet