Perfect Classic Roast Chicken
|Roasting chicken||3 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Snipped chives||2 Tablespoon (Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Yellow onion||1 , quartered|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Using a kitchen scissors or meat knife, trim off the fat from the neck and tail ends of the chicken and dry the cavity with paper towels.
3. Stuff the cavity with parsley, bay leaf, chives, and onion pieces.
4. Tuck the neck skin and wings under the bird and pull the skin over the body cavity opening.
5. Tie the legs together securely with string.
6. Coat the chicken with oil and season well with salt and pepper.
7. Arrange the bird, breast side down on a roasting rack over a roasting pan to catch the drippings and juices.
8. Place in the preheated oven and roast the chicken for 30 minutes.
9. Turning the chicken over, baste the top side with the pan juices and continue roasting for another 55 minutes basting it every 10 to 15 minutes, until it is tender and the juices run clean when pierced with a knife in the thigh portion.
10. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer the chicken to a platter, covering it with aluminum foil to keep it warm.
11. Skim off fat from the pan leaving behind the brown juices.
12. Stir flour into the juices and heat over moderate heat, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until thickened.
13. Gradually add the chicken stock and cook, stirring constantly until thick.
14. Pour gravy into a sauce boat and keep warm.
15. Skin the chicken and carve into serving pieces using a dinner fork and knife.
16. Serve the roast with the gravy and roast vegetables or a green salad on the side.