Pate-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Condensed chicken broth||10 3⁄4 Ounce|
|Chicken breasts||48 Ounce|
|Liver pate||9 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Unflavored gelatin||1⁄4 Ounce|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pitted black olives||1 Tablespoon|
|Pimiento stuffed olives||1 Tablespoon|
1. In 6-quart kettle, bring to boil combining sliced onion, sliced celery, sliced carrot, parsley sprig, salt, thyme leaves, bay leaf, undiluted chicken broth, 1-1/3 cups water and the split chicken breasts.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes just until the chicken breasts are fork-tender.
3. Remove kettle from heat and let the chicken breasts cool in the broth.
4. Remove the chicken breasts from the broth reserving broth.
5. Remove skin and bone from chicken breasts and trim edges evenly.
6. On underside of each chicken breast, spread about 1 tablespoon liver pate, mounding it slightly.
7. Refrigerate the chicken breasts, covered, for 1 hour.
8. Strain broth skim off the fat and reserve 2 cups of the broth.
To Make glaze:
9. In medium saucepan, bring reserved broth to boiling.
10. Reduce heat and simmer broth, uncovered for 30 minutes until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup.
11. In 1/4 cup cold water in medium bowl, let the gelatin stand for 5 minutes, to soften.
12. Add hot broth, stirring to dissolve the gelatin.
13. Add the heavy cream, mixing until it is well combined with gelatin mixture.
14. Set bowl with gelatin mixture in ice water and let it stand about 20 minutes until well chilled but not thickened.
15. Stir occasionally and remove from ice water.
16. Place chicken breasts, pate side down, on a wire rack set rack on a tray and spoon glaze over chicken breasts.
17. Refrigerate, on the tray, for 30 minutes until the glaze is set.
18. Scrape glaze from the tray reheat it and set it, in the saucepan, in ice water again to chill.
19. Spoon the glaze over the chicken breasts, coating them completely.
20. Press both kinds of olive into glaze, to decorate.
21. Refrigerate until the glaze is set—about 1 hour.
22. In a large, shallow serving dish arrange chicken breasts, in a single layer.
23. Garnish the stuffed chicken breasts with sprigs of watercress and serve.
Calories 555 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g45.1%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 237.3 mg79.1%
Sodium 1253.2 mg52.2%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.4%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 60 g121%
Vitamin A 159.8% Vitamin C 13.7%
Calcium 7.1% Iron 28.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet