Stewed Chicken Under a Blanket
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped fresh|
|Flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cumin||1 Tablespoon, ground|
|Coriander||1 Tablespoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Saffron threads||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Chicken pieces||4 Pound, cut into 10 serving pieces, wing tips trimmed|
|Defatted chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||2 Tablespoon, ground|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||8|
1) Rinse the chicken pieces, discard any excess fat and dry them.
2) In a large bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken pieces, toss well to coat and marinate covered for 2 hours at
room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4) In a large heavy pot, place the chicken with the marinade, then stir in the broth and butter. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5) In a bowl, remove the cooked chicken pieces, cook the sauce over a high heat for about 30 minutes until the sauce is reduced to about 2 cups.
6) When the chicken is cool, gently skin and bone the pieces.
7) In a bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar together and keep aside.
8) In a lightly buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch ovenproof dish, ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce at the bottom and cover with a phyllo pastry sheet folding excess on the sides of the dish.
9) Brush well with the remaining sauce, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar and repeat with 3 more phyllo pastry sheets.
10) Place the chicken pieces slightly in the center of the dish and cover with the 4 phyllo pastry sheets. Brush each one with the sauce and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar.
11) Gather up the excees pastry folded over the sides of the dish and mound it slightly on top. Spoon over 1/2 cup sauce and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar to taste.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crisp.
13) Slice and serve on individual serving plates.
Calories 945 Calories from Fat 316
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54.5%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g47.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 333.6 mg111.2%
Sodium 1126.4 mg46.9%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.5%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27.3%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 110 g219.5%
Vitamin A 30.8% Vitamin C 56.9%
Calcium 36% Iron 60.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet