Stewed Chicken Under A Blanket
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped fresh|
|Flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cumin||1 Tablespoon, ground|
|Coriander||1 Tablespoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Saffron threads||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Chicken pieces||4 Pound, cut into 10 serving pieces, wing tips trimmed|
|Defatted chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||2 Tablespoon, ground|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||8|
1) Rinse the chicken pieces, discard any excess fat and dry them.
2) In a large bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together. Add the chicken pieces, toss well to coat and marinate covered for 2 hours at
room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4) In a large heavy pot, place the chicken with the marinade, then stir in the broth and butter. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5) In a bowl, remove the cooked chicken pieces, cook the sauce over a high heat for about 30 minutes until the sauce is reduced to about 2 cups.
6) When the chicken is cool, gently skin and bone the pieces.
7) In a bowl, mix the cinnamon and sugar together and keep aside.
8) In a lightly buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch ovenproof dish, ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce at the bottom and cover with a phyllo pastry sheet folding excess on the sides of the dish.
9) Brush well with the remaining sauce, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon-sugar and repeat with 3 more phyllo pastry sheets.
10) Place the chicken pieces slightly in the center of the dish and cover with the 4 phyllo pastry sheets. Brush each one with the sauce and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar.
11) Gather up the excees pastry folded over the sides of the dish and mound it slightly on top. Spoon over 1/2 cup sauce and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar to taste.
12) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the pastry is golden and crisp.
13) Slice and serve on individual serving plates.