Red Cooked Chicken
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soy sauce||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Thin fresh ginger slices||5|
|Green onions||2 , sliced|
|Star anise pods||1 1⁄2 (Whole)|
|Cinnamon stick||1⁄2 , crumbled|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
1) From the cavity and neck end of the chicken, remove the excess fat, if any. Thoroughly clean the chicken inside and out and ensure that the kidneys and the soft red tissues tucked in against the backbone and near the tail end are completely removed.
2) Properly wash the bird inside and out. Use paper towels to pat dry. Either remove the wing tips or tuck them behind the back.
3) In a covered casserole or saucepan that is large enough to hold the chicken, combine together the wine, water, soy sauce, sugar, green onions, ginger, star anise and cinnamon. Bring the mixture to a boil. Stir well to ensure that the sugar has dissolved.
4) Lower the chicken into the pan very carefully and gradually, keeping the breast side down. Bring the mixture to a boil again, basting the exposed part of the chicken with the liquid so that the skin starts to color. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Gently cook for about 20 minutes, occasionally basting.
5) Turn the chicken over after 20 minutes of cooking. Ensure that the breast skin does not tear. Using 2 wooden spoons, one inside the cavity and one outside, is the easiest way to handle and turn the bird. Cook for another 30 minutes, basting after every few minutes.
6) Turn the heat off and allow the cooked chicken to rest in the sauce for a minimum of 30 minutes, preferably up to 2 hours. To give the chicken a deep and even color, keep basting with the sauce frequently and keep the pan covered to keep the heat in.
7) Lift the chicken out of the pan and thoroughly drain it.
8) Serve hot, lukewarm, at room temperature of cold. The skin can be rubbed or brushed with sesame oil for an attractive lustre. Strain the sauce and reserve it for future use.
Calories 948 Calories from Fat 524
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.4%
Saturated Fat 16.4 g81.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 281.2 mg93.7%
Sodium 7451.5 mg310.5%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.7%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 78 g156.3%
Vitamin A 15.5% Vitamin C 14.8%
Calcium 8.2% Iron 34.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet