Chicken and Date Tagine
|Chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 10 serving pieces, wing tips trimmed|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Cardamom||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Fresh mint leaves||3 Tablespoon, coarsely chopped|
|Saffron threads||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||3 Inch|
|Orange||1 , pith removed|
|Defatted chicken broth||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Canned garbanzo beans||15 1⁄2 Ounce, drained and rinsed (Chickpeas, 1 Can)|
|Dates||8 Ounce, pitted, halved (Large Variety)|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||6 , seeded and cut ito 1/2 inch dice|
|Couscous||5 Cup (80 tbs), cooked|
1) Rinse the chicken pieces, discard any excess fat and dry them.
2) In a large bowl, add the chicken pieces with the onion, garlic, parsley, 1/2 cup mint, cardamom, saffron, oil and lemon juice, toss well to mix and coat. Refrigerate covered for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
3) In a large heavy pot, transfer the chicken alongwith the marinade.
4) Stir in the cinnamon stick, orange peel, broth, salt and pepper.
5) Allow to boil over a medium-high heat, then partially cover and simmer on a medium low heat for 30 minutes.
6) Stir in the chickpeas, dates, and tomatoes, again partially cover and simmer for further 30 minutes.
7) Discard the cinnamon stick and peel, distribute the couscous among 6 shallow bowls.
8) Spoon over the chicken and sauce, sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint and serve immediately.
Calories 1385 Calories from Fat 365
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.9%
Saturated Fat 9.3 g46.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 177.3 mg59.1%
Sodium 933.3 mg38.9%
Total Carbohydrates 175 g58.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.6 g70.2%
Sugars 31.8 g
Protein 83 g165.3%
Vitamin A 35.5% Vitamin C 64.5%
Calcium 27.9% Iron 35%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet