Mediterranean Style Lentil And Chicken Cassoulet
|Lentils||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Brown / Red / Green)|
|Fresh rosemary sprigs/1 teaspoon dried rosemary||2|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken||4 Pound, cut into 8 pieces and skinned (1 In Number)|
|Onions||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Carrots||2 Large, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Turnips||2 Large, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
1. Place the lentils in a sieve and rinse well under running cold water.
2. Add the washed lentils to a heavy bottomed saucepan and cover them with 2 to 3 quarts water, and add rosemary.
3. Place the pan over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
4. Partially cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer lentils for 15 to 20 minutes or until almost tender but not mushy.
5. Drain the excess water out and remove the rosemary sprigs.
6. In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil.
7. Add the chicken and sauté for about 8 minutes until lightly and evenly browned.
8. Using tongs, remove the pieces onto a plate and keep warm.
9. To the remaining oil in the pan, add the onions, carrots, turnips and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes to soften and lightly brown.
10. Add the tomatoes, stock and vinegar and stir well.
11. Return the chicken to the casserole and cover with a tight fitting lid.
12. Reduce the heat and allow the chicken to simmer until it is almost tender.
13. Stir in the cooked lentils, re- cover and continue to simmer until the lentils and chicken is cooked. Check by pressing lentil between thumb and forefinger and piercing a sharp tipped knife into a thigh portion of the chicken.
14. Season the stew according to taste.
15. Serve the stew hot over polenta, couscous or bulgur wheat.