Herbed Low Fat Fried Chicken
|Chicken drumsticks||2 Pound (8 Pieces)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely grated lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Skin each drumstick by loosening it from thick end with the tip of a sharp knife, then pulling it off with your fingers.
3. In a shallow dish, lightly whisk the egg whites until foamy.
4. On a plate or sheet of wax paper, season and flavor the bread crumbs with the garlic, herbs, lemon zest, salt, and pepper Spread out evenly.
5. To bread the chicken drumsticks work in batches, dusting them first with the flour.
6. Dip the floured chicken drumsticks in the egg whites and coat evenly. Lift and allow excess egg to drip back into the bowl
7. Roll in the seasoned bread crumbs, sprinkling and pressing the bread crumbs onto the flesh with your fingers to get an even layer coating.
8. Place on a platter and coat the remaining drumsticks in the same manner.
9. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until it sizzles when a few bread crumbs are added.
10. Arrange half of the chicken drumsticks and fry for about 3 minutes each side until well browned.
11. Transfer the fried chicken to a plate and brown the remaining drumsticks.
12. When all the drumsticks have been browned, return all to the skillet.
13. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, until chicken is tender inside and crisp on the outside.
14. Serve the crispy herbed oven fried chicken drumsticks with or without a sauce and a green salad of your choice.