Roasted Chicken And Watercress Sandwiches With Cranberry Orange Apple Relish
|Cranberries||1 Pound (4 Cups)|
|Granny smith apples||2 , unpeeled, cored and coarsely chopped|
|Oranges||2 , unpeeled, quartered and coarsely chopped|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Roasting chicken||4 Pound|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Slivered lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon, strained (Juice Of 1 Lemon)|
|Fresh thyme/2 teaspoons crushed dried thyme||4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh rosemary/1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary||2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh marjoram/1/2 teaspoon crushed dried marjoram||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Greek olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Small, Green, Optional)|
|Commercial mayonnaise||To Taste|
|Baguette||1 , cut crosswise into 8 equal sections and the sections split horizontally|
|Unsalted butter||To Taste|
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2) Using a food processor chop cranberries finely.
3) Put the mixture into a bowl.
4) In the food processor chop apples finely turning the chopped fruit into the bowl with the chopped cranberries.
5) Mix sugar to fruit and mix well. The quantity would be approximately 5 cups.
6) Chill for several hours.
7) Freeze or store relish in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
8) Rub chicken with salt and pepper.
9) In a small bowl mix olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, all herbs, garlic and some pepper.
10) Baste chicken with oil mixture both in and out.
11) Turn the chicken on a roasting rack in a roasting pan.
12) Pour oil mixture over the chicken.
13) Add water to the roasting pan.
14) Put in oven and decreased heat to 350 degrees F.
15) Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, basting chicken with the pan juices every 20 minutes.
16) Put olive to roasting pan during last 30 minutes of cooking.
17) Take off from oven and cool.
18) Prepare sandwiches, spreading mayonnaise on the cut side of one baguette section and butter on the other side.
19) Scrape the meat from roasted chicken and put on the buttered bread.
20) Place peppery sprigs of watercress and some of the relish on the top.
21) Cover sandwiches in plastic wrap.
22) In a small and tight container put the olives for serving on side.
23) Pack in the picnic basket in winter and cooler during summer.
24) Serve warm or cold.
Calories 1208 Calories from Fat 536
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 59 g91.3%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 221.1 mg73.7%
Sodium 637 mg26.5%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g37.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33.1%
Sugars 80.3 g
Protein 56 g111.9%
Vitamin A 18.5% Vitamin C 75.4%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 29.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet