|Chicken livers||3 Pound|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dried savory leaves||1 Tablespoon|
|Light cream/Half-and-half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry white wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried tarragon leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Roasted pimentos||4 Ounce|
1. Day before: Discard any fat globules from chicken livers; wash livers and dry on paper towels.
2. In hot butter in skillet, saute onion and dried herbs until onion is golden. Add chicken livers; saute, stirring, about 5 minutes. Cut up livers.
3. In bowl, combine livers, cognac, cream, eggs, salt and pepper; mix well. Put mixture through blender, about one-third at a time, to make a smooth puree, or process ingredients in a food processor fitted with the steel blade.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a 1 3/4-quart round casserole with bacon slices. Arrange bay leaves in bottom of casserole.
5. Pour liver mixture into casserole; place in pan of very hot water (water should measure 1 inch). Bake 1 hour.
6. Remove casserole from hot water; let cool completely on wire rack. Refrigerate, covered, overnight. Next day, un-mold: Loosen edge with spatula; turn out on a tray. Remove bacon; smooth surface with spatula. Refrigerate.
7. Prepare Glaze: Sprinkle gelatine over 1/4 cup water in small saucepan; let stand 5 minutes to soften. Add wine, tarragon and parsley; stir over low heat until mixture is hot and gelatine is dissolved; strain if desired.
8. Set pan in ice water; let stand, stirring occasionally, until mixture starts to jell—15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, arrange slices of the olives and pimientos around edge and on top of pate, to form design of cock's head. Spoon half of glaze over pate, covering completely. Refrigerate pate to set glaze—30 minutes. Reheat remaining glaze; cool and spoon over chilled pate. Refrigerate until serving time to set glaze. Garnish with parsley, if desired. Serve with thinly sliced pumpernickel and rye bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3604 Calories from Fat 1900
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 214 g329.8%
Saturated Fat 102.1 g510.6%
Trans Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 6092.9 mg2031%
Sodium 4072.4 mg169.7%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.2%
Dietary Fiber 12.5 g49.9%
Sugars 10.1 g
Protein 279 g558.1%
Vitamin A 3196.7% Vitamin C 596.6%
Calcium 80.6% Iron 771.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet