Roast Chicken With Stuffing And Gravy
|Chicken||5 1⁄2 Pound (1 Bird, 2.25 Kilogram Or 5 Pound 8 Ounce)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce, softened (15 Gram)|
|Chicken gravy||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Classic Variety)|
|For a traditional herb stuffing|
|Butter/Vegetable oil||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Chopped mixed herbs||3 Tablespoon (Such As Parsley, Thyme And Sage)|
|White breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
1. In a saucepan, prepare the stuffing by melting the butter and olive oil together over low heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the oil butter mix and cover with butter paper and cook over a low heat. This will turn the onions soft but not browned.
3. When the onions are soft, take them off the heat and mix in the herbs and breadcrumbs. Season to taste and set aside to cool
4. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
5. Stuff the chicken with the precooked stuffing and place it on a roasting tin
6. Drizzle the entire chicken with butter or vegetable oil, salt, and fresh ground pepper.
7. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 1 1/2 hrs-1 3/4 hrs. Generally allow about 20 mins per 450g/1lb of chicken.
8. Baste the chicken during the cooking process with more butter or oil or the pan juices.
9. When the meat starts to darken during the cooking process, cover the exposed thin sections (drumsticks and wings) with foil paper or parchment paper to prevent the meat from drying out.
10. Check for doneness by inserting a cooking skewer into the thigh area with a spoon underneath. When the juices run clear, it indicates that the chicken is done. The chicken legs should also feel very loose.
11. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish and leave to rest.
12. The stuffing can be serving with the chicken or it can be spooned out and served separately.
13. Carve the chicken and serve with the stuffing, gravy and roasted or steamed vegetables
The chicken can also be kept warm in the oven by turning down the temperature to the lowest possible.