Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
|Chicken breast halves||7 Pound, boned, skin left on (4 Breast Halves)|
|Fresh thyme/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|For spinach and cheese stuffing|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Spinach||1 Pound, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped|
|Low fat ricotta cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh basil/1/2 teaspoon dried basil||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For yogurt-tomato sauce|
|Plain low fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomato||1 , peeled, seeded and finely chopped|
|Basil leaves||4 Large, thinly sliced|
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
2. On a meat board, prepare the chicken pockets for the stuffing.
3. Loosen the skin of each chicken breast by running a finger between the flesh and skin along one side, retaining the skin attached on the other side.
4. Rub thyme and salt into the flesh.
5. Drizzle and rub 1/4 teaspoon of the olive oil onto the skin of each breast.
6. Grease a large baking dish with oil or butter.
7. For preparing the stuffing, use a heavy bottomed skillet,
8. Heat butter and oil in the skillet over medium heat.
9. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes till soft and translucent.
10. Add the spinach to the onions and cook for another 6 minutes or until it is wilted and the moisture has evaporated.
11. Empty the mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool.
12. Mix in the cheeses, basil and some pepper.
13. For making the sauce- use a small bowl,
14. Mix the yogurt, vinegar, salt and pepper. Reserving 1 teaspoon of each, stir the tomato sauce and the basil into the yogurt mixture until well blended.
15. Pour the sauce to a serving bowl, garnish it with the reserved tomato and basil, and set it aside.
16. Fill each prepared chicken pocket with ¼ of the spinach and cheese filling, stuffing it tidily between the flash and the skin.
17. Arrange the stuffed chicken breasts skin side up in the greased baking dish.
18. Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the skin turns golden brown and crispy.
19. Removing the baking dish from the oven, and transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes.
20. Slice each breast into ½ inch thick slices.
21. Arrange them on a warmed serving platter or on individual dinner plates and serve with the yogurt sauce.