Braised Chicken Legs With Celery Shallots And Red Onion
|Whole chicken legs||4 , skinned|
|Freshly ground white pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Celery stalks||4 , sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch-wide slices to make about 3 cups|
|Shallots||2 Tablespoon, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced|
|Unsalted chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Cornstarch||2 Teaspoon, mixed with 1 tablespoon water|
1) Set the oven to 350° F.
2) Season the chicken legs with salt and pepper.
3) In a large, heavy-bottomed casserole, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat and stir fry the legs in it for about two minutes on each side till browned.
4) Place the legs on a plate and keep aside.
5) Sauté the celery, stirring frequently, for about one minute in the remaining tablespoon of oil in the casserole.
6) Stir in the shallots and stir fry them for another minute, careful not to brown them.
7) Use the stock to deglaze the casserole and stir in the celery seeds.
8) Cover and bring the liquid to a boil after putting the legs back to the casserole.
9) Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
10) In the meantime, take a heavy-bottomed skillet and melt butter in it over medium-low heat for the sauce.
11) Sauté onion in it for about 10 minutes until soft and keep aside.
12) Lift off the legs from the poaching liquid and reserve the celery after straining the liquid into a saucepan.
13) Bring the liquid to a boil over low heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture constantly, and simmer for about two minutes until the sauce thickens.
14) On a warmed serving platter, spread the reserved celery and spoon the sauce over it followed by placing the legs on top.
15) Cover the chicken with the sautéed onions and serve at once.