Curried Chicken with Chutney and Raisins
|Chicken||3 Pound, skinned and cut into serving pieces (1 Whole)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cornmeal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Safflower oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Carrot||1 , finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Tomatoes||3⁄4 Pound, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped, with juice reserved (Preferably The Italian Plum Variety)|
|Unsalted chicken stock||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Mango chutney||2 Teaspoon|
|Dark raisins||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Golden raisins||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. On a platter, season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge the pieces with corn meal so that they are lightly coated. Keep aside until cooking time.
3. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
4. In a large Dutch Over or a casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over a medium flame.
5. When the oil is hot, arrange the coated chicken pieces in a single layer and cook for 2 minutes on each side so that they are lightly browned.
6. Remove the chicken pieces onto a platter and keep aside.
7. In the same casserole, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil.
8. Add the onion, carrot and green pepper and sauté for 1-2 minute.
9. To this, add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more.
10. Add in the tomatoes, their reserved juice and the stock. Stir to blend.
11. Mix in the curry powder, chutney, bay leaf and 1 tablespoon each of raisins.
12. Return the chicken to the casserole and bring the liquid to a simmer.
13. Cover the casserole with its lid and transfer it to the preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.
14. In the meanwhile, on a baking tray or pie pie, toast the sesame seeds by placing in the oven for 10 minutes.
15. Remove the sesame seeds and check the chicken breasts for doneness. If cooked, transfer the breast pieces to a warm platter, cover with foil and keep aside.
16. Continue bake the other chicken pieces for 5-10 minutes more until tender.
17. Remove the casserole from the oven and uncover.
18. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces to the platter with the breast portions.
19. Spoon the sauce over the chicken.
20. Generously sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds and the remaining raisins over the chicken pieces.
21. Serve chicken with steamed rice or couscous.
Calories 859 Calories from Fat 407
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g70.3%
Saturated Fat 11.8 g59%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 227.9 mg76%
Sodium 550.6 mg22.9%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g12%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.8%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 77 g153.1%
Vitamin A 73.8% Vitamin C 39.9%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 35.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet