Thyme Roasted Chicken
|Chicken||4 Pound, giblets reserved for another use, rinsed and patted dry (1 Chicken, 3 1/2 To 4 Pound)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh thyme leaves||1 Tablespoon, stems reserved for flavoring the cavity|
|Bay leaves||8 , crumbled into small bits|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Season the chicken, with salt and pepper, making sure to rub the seasonings inside the body cavity as well.
2. Carefully loosen the chicken skin, working from the edge of the cavity, and distribute the thyme leaves under the skin. Allow the skin to fall back into place.
3. Stuff the chicken with the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
4. Truss the chicken preparing it for roasting.
5. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
6. Use a large stock pot with a tight fitting lid.
7. Fill the stock pot with boiling water, ½ inch from the bottom.
8. Place a 2 -3 inch high rack in the stock pot, to hold the chicken clear of the water. Place the trussed bird on the rack.
9. Cover the stock pot with its lid and place of a medium flame. Steam the chicken for 15 minutes to render its fat.
10. Carefully transfer the bird from the pot to the rack over a roasting pan.
11. Season the outside of the bird with the salt and pepper.
12. Roast the chicken in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the skin is golden brown.
13. Drain the juices and fat from the cavity of the chicken into the roasting pan. Allow the roasted bird to rest on a board.
14. Pour the white wine and 1 cup of water into the drippings and juices in the roasting pan.
15. Place the pan on the stove, over medium heat. Simmer the liquid for 10 minutes, scraping up any pan deposits, until it is reduced to half. Strain into a sauce boat or gravy bowl.
16. Using a carving knife, carve the chicken on the meat board and place the slices on a warmed platter.
17. Spoon the reduced sauce over the chicken.
18. Serve with roasted vegetables and pass the gravy at the table.
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.8%
Saturated Fat 7.2 g36%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 152 mg50.7%
Sodium 269.8 mg11.2%
Total Carbohydrates 2 g0.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.56 g2.2%
Sugars 0.1 g
Protein 46 g92.3%
Vitamin A 7.5% Vitamin C 5.8%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 14.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet