Crepes Filled with Chicken and Corn
|Chicken breast halves||1⁄2 Pound, skinned and boned, cut into 1/2-inch cube|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Safflower oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crepe batter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Skim milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 (Reserve White For Filling)|
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Thyme leaves/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leave||1 Teaspoon|
|Parsley||1⁄2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Chopped tarragon/1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mint||1⁄2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Safflower oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Shallot||1 , chopped|
|Corn kernels||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), uncooked|
|Unsalted chicken stock||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Low fat cottage cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Make the crepe batter in a mixing bowl.
2. Whisk together 1 cup of the milk and the egg yolk in the bowl.
3. To this add flour in 3 batches, whisking continuously until all the flour has been incorporated into the egg mixture to form a smooth batter.
4. Stir the butter, turmeric, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, tarragon and mint into the batter until well blended.
5. Make crepes in a 6-inch nonstick skillet.
6. Prepare the pan by heating on a medium heat. Grease with 1/2 tsp oil and wipe with paper towel.
7. In the hot pan, pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of the crepe batter and swirl it evenly spread over the bottom of the pan. Pour the excess batter back into the mixing bowl. Let the crepe brown for about 30 Seconds then lift from the edge of the crepe to flip it over. Brown the other side for 15 seconds.
8. Make sure the crepes are paper-thin or else adjust the consistency of the batter by pouring more milk into it to thin it.
9. Do the same with the remaining batter to make at least eight crepes. Pile the crepes on a plate and keep them aside.
10. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
To make the crepe filling
11. Dust the chicken cubes with the salt and pepper.
12. In a heavy-bottomed skillet,
13. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
14. Sauté the chicken in the pan for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
15. To the same skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and sauté the shallots for 30 seconds.
16. Add corn and sauté for 3 minutes more.
17. Remove 1/2 of the corn mixture and combine with the chicken for the filling.
18. To the chicken and corn add the cottage cheese, 1 tablespoon of the chives and the egg white and mix well.
To make the sauce
19. To the skillet add the stock and the cream combining with corn onion and simmer for 3 minutes.
20. Remove to jar of food processor or blender and puree.
21. Spoon 4 tablespoons of the filling to one side of each crepe and roll.
22. Grease a baking dish with oil
23. Arrange the rolled crepes seam side down in the grease baking dish and pour the prepared sauce over the crepes.
24. Bake the crepes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the filling is heated and sauce starts to bubble.
25. Remove baking dish from the oven and garnish the crepes with the chopped chives.