Chicken Drumsticks Cacciatore
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped to make 3/4 cup|
|Carrot||1 Small, cut into 1/8 inch slices|
|Celery stalk||1 Small, cut into 1/8 inch slices|
|Green pepper||1 Large, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/2 inch squares|
|Red pepper||1 Small, seeded, deribbed and cut into 1/2 inch squares|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), finely chopped|
|Fresh oregano leaves/3/4 teaspoon dried oregano||2 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Fresh thyme/1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned plum tomatoes||28 Ounce, drained and chopped, with the juice reserved (1 Can)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
3. In an oven proof skillet or casserole, heat oil over high heat
4. Add the seasoned drumsticks and brown them on all sides for 10-12 minutes.
5. Transfer the chicken to a platter.
6. In the same skillet add the onion, carrot, celery, green and red peppers and garlic, oregano and thyme.
7. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes until soft.
8. Reduce the heat to medium and add chopped tomatoes, cooking until the excess liquid evaporates.
9. Pour in the wine and the reserved tomato juice.
10. Simmer for 10 minutes till the sauce is reduced to a thick consistency.
11. Return the drumsticks to the pan, coating them with the sauce.
12. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
13. Place the lid on the skillet and transfer to the oven. Braise the chicken for 30 minutes till the chicken is tender.
14. Remove the skillet from the oven and transfer the chicken in a deep serving dish.
15. Place the skillet with the sauce on a high flame and reduce the sauce
16. Stir in the parsley.
17. Spoon the sauce to coat the drumsticks and serve hot.