Lemon Herb Chicken Cooked Under A Brick
|Free range chicken||5 Pound (2 Whole, 2 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled and quartered lengthwise|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||3|
|Fresh rosemary sprigs||3|
|Crushed black peppercorns||To Taste|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon, divided|
|Chives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into 1/2 inch lengths|
1. One a meat board and using a jointing knife or clever, split each chicken in half, along the back bone. Trim off the fat.
2. Use a heavy skillet to weigh down and flatten the chicken halves, on the skin side.
3. Stud each breast and each leg with a few slivers of garlic. Stick a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary on the interior of the chicken halves.
4. Season the chickens with salt and pepper, to taste.
5. Slice 2 lemons.
6. In a large and shallow pan, coat the chickens with 4 tablespoons of oil and arrange the lemon slices on top of the chickens.
7. Cover the pan and refrigerate, allowing the chicken to marinate for 6 hours or overnight.
8. Remove the marinated chicken from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before cooking.
9. Pre heat oven to 475°F.
10. Wrap 4 bricks with aluminum foil.
11. Heat 2 cast-iron skillets over high heat.
12. Grease the skillets each with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sear the chickens in the skillets, skin side down with lemon slices and herbs on top.
13. Place the covered bricks on top of the chicken halves to weigh them down.
14. Cook the chicken for 8 to 10 minutes over medium-high heat until the skin is golden brown.
15. Immediately transfer the skillets to the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes.
16. Remove the bricks, turn the chickens over and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked and tender.
17. Arrange the chickens on a serving platter, meat side up.
18. Generously squeeze the juice of a lemon over the chicken and garnish with the chopped chives.
Calories 122 Calories from Fat 101
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.5%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 762.6 mg31.8%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.6%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.4%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 2 g3.6%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C 32.8%
Calcium 2.5% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet