Plum Coated Chicken with Nappa Cabbage
|Chickens||3 Pound, skinned and cut into serving pieces (The Wings Reserved For Later Use)|
|Chinese cabbage||3 Pound (Nappa, 2 Small Heads, About 1 1/2 Pound Each)|
|Unsalted chicken stock||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Ripe plums||5 Large (Red)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Safflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
1. Discard the outer brown leaves of the cabbage. Trim 2 inches off the base of each cabbage
2. Rinse and dry the cabbage leaves. Remove the white core at the base of each leaf.
3. Cut the leaves into 2-inch squares and keep aside.
4. Using a small paring knife, make a shallow cross on the bottom of each plum.
5. Preheat the oven to 400° F
6. In a large saucepan
7. Pour in the stock and bring it to a boil.
8. Boil the plums in the stock for 2 minutes, till the skin begins to peel away from the cross.
9. Using a slotted spoon, remove the plums from the stock and skin them over the hot stock. Allow them to cool.
10. To the hot stock in the saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1/4 cup of vinegar.
11. Stir and reduce the liquid to 2 cups by simmering over medium heat for 15 minutes. Set the saucepan aside.
12. To prepare the plum sauce,
13. Pit the blanched and skinned plums and cut them into cubes.
14. In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan,
15. Melt the butter over medium heat.
16. Add the cubed plums and the remaining tablespoon of honey and 1/4 cup of vinegar.
17. Cook the plums, stirring occasionally, for 45-60 minutes of until the plums are soft and mashed.
18. Pour in 1/2 cup of the reduced stock and the lemon juice.
19. Empty the contents of the saucepan into a food processor or blender and pulse for 30 seconds, to a smooth consistency sauce. Empty into a bowl and keep aside
20. Reduce the remaining stock to 3/4 cup by letting it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain it and keep aside.
21. In the meanwhile, in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet,
22. Heat the safflower oil over a medium flame.
23. Brown the chicken pieces on one side by sautéing it for about 4 minutes.
24. Season the chicken with salt after turning them and cook on the other side for 4 minutes until brown.
25. Transfer the chicken pieces to large baking dish, arranging them with the smooth side up.
26. Glaze the chicken pieces with the pureed plum sauce.
27. Place the dish in the preheated oven and bake the chicken for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
While the chicken is baking,
28. Steam the cabbage for 6 minutes in a steamer or by placing in a colander in a large pot of boiling water. Stir the cabbage once and allow to steam till the leaves are wilted.
29. Drain the cabbage.
30. In a medium skillet or non-stick pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil.
31. Add the blanched cabbage to the hot oil, season with salt and toss to coat with the oil. Take pan off the heat and keep aside.
32. Combine the remaining plum puree with the reduced stock in the sauce pan simmer until well heater.
33. Remove the chicken from the baking dish or casserole. Arrange the sautéed cabbage as a bed in the baking dish over the pan juices. Re-arrange the chicken on the cabbage bed.
34. Spoon the plum sauce generously over the chicken and cabbage and serve in the baking dish or casserole.