Dixie Barbecued Chicken Plate
|Tomato sauce||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Catsup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|White vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|Self rising cornmeal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Bacon drippings||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) In boiling water, cook chicken until it is tender. Drain the chicken and allow it to cool.
3) Remove all bones from the chicken and cut it into large pieces.
4) In top of a double broiler, combine the tomato sauce, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, salt, brown sugar, pepper and onion. Mix well.
5) Add chicken pieces to the sauce and cook over hot water for about 60 minutes.
In a bowl, mix cornmeal and flour. Add the egg and milk and mix the batter well.
6) Stir bacon drippings into the batter and pour it into a greased baking pan of 8 x 12-inches. Bake at 400-degrees for 15 minutes.
7) Cut baked concoction into 4-inch squares and split in half.
8) Cover the bottom half with chicken mixture and top with the remaining half.
9) Serve hot.