Chicken A La Francaise
|Chickens||2 (about 2.5 to 3 pound each)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Chicken broth||6 Ounce, can|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
2) Trim the stem end of celery while keeping the stalks intact. Then trim the leaves and reserve for stuffing.
3) Cut each celery stalk lengthwise into a total of 4 wedges. Set it aside.
4) With lemon juice, thoroughly brush the chickens inside and out.
5) Mix the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rub in the cavities of the chickens as well as on the skin. Then fill the cavities with celery leaves and onion. Use skewers to close the openings and cover the chickens lightly.
6) Refrigerate for about 2 to 4 hours in order to allow the flavours to permeate.
7) In a roasting pan, place chickens on a rack. Brush them with butter and roast in 425-degree oven for about 30 minutes or till the chickens are brown.
8) Arrange the celery around roasted chickens, add broth to the pan and cover it.
9) Reduce the temperature of the oven to 375-degrees and bake for about 60 minutes, or longer if required till the chickens and celery are tendered.
10) Remove the celery leaves from cavities of the chicken.
11) On a large platter, place the chickens. Surround with celery wedges.
12) For the sauce, pour 2 cups of pan juice in a saucepan and stir in flour mixed with water. Cook and stir till the sauce has thickened and pour into a bowl.
13) Serve chicken hot with sauce on the side.
Calories 859 Calories from Fat 537
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 60 g91.7%
Saturated Fat 18.1 g90.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 289.3 mg96.4%
Sodium 930.9 mg38.8%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g1.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.67 g2.7%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 71 g141.2%
Vitamin A 13.3% Vitamin C 16%
Calcium 5.3% Iron 20.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet