Herb Roasted Chicken with Baked Shallots
|Roasting chicken||6 Pound (1 Whole)|
|Kosher salt||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||10|
|Fresh rosemary sprigs||6|
|Shallots||16 , peeled and left whole|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), unpeeled|
|White wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. Rub the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper and lemon juice. Fill the cavity with half of the fresh herbs. Truss the bird firmly with kitchen string.
3. Put the bird, breast side up, in a shallow heavy roasting pan. (I do not use a rack because it interferes with the cooking of the vegetables.) Put the pan in the middle of the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
4. After 15 minutes, put the shallots and garlic around the chicken. Add most of the remaining herbs to the pan, leaving a few for decoration. Pour the white wine over the shallots and garlic and return the pan to the oven. Roast for another 45 minutes. To test for doneness, pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a sharp knife. The juices should run clear.
5. Arrange the bird on a heated serving platter and distribute the shallots and garlic around it. Decorate with remaining herbs and serve.
Calories 1064 Calories from Fat 651
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 72 g111.1%
Saturated Fat 20.6 g103.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 331.1 mg110.4%
Sodium 398.1 mg16.6%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 81 g161.2%
Vitamin A 60.8% Vitamin C 47.9%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 37.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet