|Skinless boneless chicken breasts||1 Pound, cut in 1/2-inch cubes|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Rice wine/Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Romaine lettuce||24 Large|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Ounce|
|Peanut oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced or crushed through a press|
|Red bell pepper||6 Ounce, diced|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, cut in 1/4 inch dice|
|Water chestnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), finley diced|
|Sliced bamboo shoots||8 Ounce, finley sliced|
|Canned chicken broth/Stock||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Chopped cilantro||3 Tablespoon (Fresh Coriander)|
1. In a medium glass bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar, cornstarch and sugar. Stir together and let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. One at a time, dip the romaine lettuce leaves into the water for 3 to 5 seconds to soften. Drain in a colander. With a paring knife, slice off the raised portion of the thick vein at the base of each leaf. Stack the leaves until needed.
3. Heat a large heavy wok over moderately high heat. Add the walnuts and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove and reserve.
4. Heat the wok over high heat and add the peanut oil. It may be necessary to regulate the heat from moderate to high as you work (if it smokes, lower the heat a little but cook over the highest heat possible). Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 10 seconds. Add the red bell pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 30 seconds longer. Add the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots and stir-fry for 30 seconds longer. Add the chicken and the chicken broth; cook for about 2 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thickened. Stir in the scallions and the reserved walnuts and cook for 10 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
5. To assemble, spoon about 1/4 cup of the filling onto the lower third of each lettuce leaf. Fold the stem end up over the filling; fold the sides in over the filling and roll up. If assembling ahead, place seam-side down on the dishes or platter.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3135 Calories from Fat 646
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g114.7%
Saturated Fat 10.1 g50.6%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 263.1 mg87.7%
Sodium 2283.6 mg95.2%
Total Carbohydrates 444 g147.9%
Dietary Fiber 250 g1000.1%
Sugars 148 g
Protein 267 g534.6%
Vitamin A 19145.4% Vitamin C 4802.4%
Calcium 387.7% Iron 656.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet