Chicken Cheese and Leek Parcel
|Roast chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound (1.6kg)|
|Leeks||2 Large, thinly sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 g /3 tbsp)|
|White button mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced (115 g /1 cup)|
|Low fat cream cheese||7 Ounce (200 g /scant 1 cup)|
|Lemon||1 Small, grated rind|
|Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley||45 Milliliter (3 tbsp)|
|Puff pastry||1 1⁄4 Pound (500 g)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh herbs||1 Tablespoon (to garnish)|
1. Strip the meat from the chicken, discarding the skin and bones. Chop or shred the meat and set it aside.
2. Melt the butter in a pan, add the leeks and garlic and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Leave to cool, then add the cream cheese, lemon rind, parsley and seasoning. Stir in the chicken.
3. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to a large rectangle, about 35 x 25cm/14 x 10in. Using a rolling pin to help you, lift the pastry on to a non-stick baking sheet.
4. Spoon the filling on to the pastry, leaving a generous margin at each end, and about 10cm/4in on each long side. Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry sides diagonally in strips, cutting up to the filling at 2cm/3/4in intervals.
5. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg. Cross the pastry strips over each other alternately to enclose the filling. Seal the edges.
6. Glaze the top with beaten egg. Leave the pie to rest while you preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Bake for about 15 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5 and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and crisp. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before sliding the parcel on to a board or platter to serve. Garnish with herbs.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6667 Calories from Fat 2851
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 318 g488.8%
Saturated Fat 72.9 g364.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1670.8 mg556.9%
Sodium 4578.5 mg190.8%
Total Carbohydrates 340 g113.3%
Dietary Fiber 19.7 g78.8%
Sugars 31.9 g
Protein 584 g1168.3%
Vitamin A 237.2% Vitamin C 228.7%
Calcium 111.6% Iron 154.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet