Roast Chicken With Dressing
|Moist bread dressing||1 Cup (16 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Roasting chicken||1 Large|
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Small, quartered|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Parsley sprigs||4 (for garnish)|
1. Prepare moist bread dressing.
2. Remove giblets and neck from chicken; reserve for gravy. Rinse chicken with running cold water and drain well. Spoon some of the dressing lightly into neck cavity (do not pack dressing; it expands during cooking). Fold neck skin over dressing; fasten neck skin to back with skewer. With chicken breast-side up, lift wings up towards the neck, then fold under back of chicken so they stay in place.
3. Spoon remaining dressing lightly into body cavity. Close by folding skin lightly over opening; skewer close if necessary. With string, tie legs and tail together.
4. Place chicken, breast-side up, on rack in open roasting pan; brush with salad oil; sprinkle with paprika, pepper and 1/2 tsp. salt. Roast in 350°F. oven for about 2 1/2 hours. Start checking if done towards last 30 minutes. (If you like, use a meat thermometer. Before placing chicken in oven, insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat between breast and thigh, being careful that pointed end of thermometer does not touch bone.)
5. When chicken turns golden, cover loosely with a "tent" of folded foil. Remove foil during last of roasting time and, with pastrybrush, brush chicken generously with pan drippings. Chicken is done when thickest part of leg feels soft when pinched with fingers protected by paper towels. (If using meat thermometer, chicken is done when thermometer reaches 175° to 180°.)
6. While chicken is roasting, prepare giblets and neck to use in gravy: In a 1-quart saucepan over high heat, heat giblets, neck, onion, 1 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until giblets are tender. Drain, reserving broth; discard onion. Pull meat from neck; discard bones; coarsely chop neck meat and giblets; refrigerate.
7. When chicken is done, place on warm platter; keep warm. Prepare gravy. Remove rack from roasting pan; pour pan drippings into a 2 cup measure or small bowl (set pan aside); let stand a few seconds until fat separates from meat juice. Skim 3 tablespoons fat from drippings into a 1-quart saucepan; skim off and discard any remaining fat. Add reserved giblet broth to roasting pan; stir until brown bits are loosened; add to meat juice in cup to make 1 1/2 cups (add water if necessary). Into fat in saucepan over medium heat, stir in flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended; gradually stir in meat juice mixture; cook, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened. Add reserved giblets and meat; cook until heated through. Pour gravy into gravy boat.
8. To serve, arrange parsley sprigs around chicken.
Calories 951 Calories from Fat 602
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.9%
Saturated Fat 15.8 g78.9%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 248.2 mg82.7%
Sodium 331.7 mg13.8%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.99 g3.9%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 60 g119.7%
Vitamin A 14.2% Vitamin C 6.8%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 23.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet