Chicken And Vegetable Yakitori
|Sake||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Japanese Rice Wine)|
|Reduced sodium soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Ginger slice||5 (Each The Size Of A Quarter)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), sliced|
|Skinless boned chicken breasts||1 Pound, cut lengthwise into 24 1/2 inch wide pieces|
|White onions||1⁄2 Pound (8 Small)|
|Green bell pepper||8 Ounce, quartered, seeds and ribs removed (1 Large)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound (8 Large)|
1. In a nonreactive small saucepan, combine the sake, soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until reduced to 2/3 cup, about 10 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature. Remove and discard the ginger and garlic. The yield will now be 1/2 cup. Add the chicken strips and let marinate while you start a charcoal fire or preheat the broiler.
2. Meanwhile, bring a medium-large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Drop in the unpeeled onions and when the water returns to a boil, boil for 5 minutes. Cut each pepper quarter into 4 pieces. Drop them in with the onions and boil for 2 minutes after the boil returns. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. When cool, trim the ends of the onions and peel them.
3. When the coals are hot and covered in gray ash, heat the grill itself. The broiler, if using, should preheat for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. You will need eight 12-inch metal or bamboo skewers. Thread the ingredients onto them in the following order: Push the point through the rounded center of a mushroom cap and pull it to within 1 inch of the blunt end of the skewer (work assembly-line fashion, i.e. put each of the 8 mushrooms on its skewer (first). Weave or thread 1 strip of chicken on each skewer, making an s-shape (so the meat is pierced 3 times before sliding up next to the mushroom). Next, add a piece of bell pepper, then a strip of chicken, then a whole onion, jabbed sideways, followed by another strip of chicken and finally, a piece of bell pepper.
5. Place the skewers on the hot grill and brush with the marinade left in the bowl. Cook, turning and brushing 4 to 6 times, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Or cook under the broiler for 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1336 Calories from Fat 333
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.7%
Saturated Fat 10.4 g51.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 240 mg80%
Sodium 2474.1 mg103.1%
Total Carbohydrates 87 g29.1%
Dietary Fiber 10.5 g42.2%
Sugars 49.5 g
Protein 95 g189.4%
Vitamin A 16.9% Vitamin C 343.4%
Calcium 11% Iron 18.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet