How-to Cut Up a Chicken
1. Place the chicken breast side up and remove the legs, cutting between the thigh and body. Bend the thigh back and twist to break the hip joint and cut through the joint.
2. To separate the drumstick from the thigh, place the skin side down and cut through the joint.
3. To remove the wing pull away from the body and cut between the joint and breast. Then remove the wing tips, these can be frozen and used in a chicken stock.
4. Using kitchen shears cut the rib cage along one side from the tail end to the neck and then repeat on the other side and remove the backbone in one piece.
5. With the skin side down press the knife on the breast to remove and then trim away any fat.