Chilli Roast Chicken
|Hot red chilies||3 Medium, deseeded (Fresh)|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and crushed|
|Fresh root ginger||1 Inch, peeled and chopped (1 Piece)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Roughly chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (Fresh)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Oven ready chicken||3 Pound (1.4 Kilogram, 1 Whole)|
|Unsalted butter||1⁄2 Ounce, melted (15 Gram)|
|Butternut squash||1 1⁄4 Pound (550 Gram)|
|Fresh parsley sprigs||4 (For Garnish)|
|Coriander sprigs||4 (For Garnish)|
|Baked potatoes||4 (For Serving)|
|Green vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Seasonal Variety, For Serving)|
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/Gas Mark 5. Roughly chop the chillies and put in a food processor with the turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, olive oil, coriander, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Blend to a paste, leaving the ingredients still slightly chunky.
2. Starting at the neck end of the chicken, gently ease up the skin to loosen it from the breast. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the paste. Push the remaining paste over the chicken breast under the skin, spreading it evenly.
3. Put the chicken in a large roasting tin. Mix the reserved chilli paste with the melted butter. Use 1 tablespoon to brush evenly over the chicken, roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, halve, peel and scoop out the seeds from the butternut squash. Cut into large chunks and mix in the remaining chilli paste and butter mixture.
5. Arrange the butternut squash around the chicken. Roast for a further hour, basting with the cooking juices about every 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and the squash tender. Garnish with parsley and coriander. Serve hot with baked potatoes and green vegetables.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2950 Calories from Fat 1166
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 131 g200.8%
Saturated Fat 44.3 g221.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 930.5 mg310.2%
Sodium 6037.2 mg251.6%
Total Carbohydrates 211 g70.4%
Dietary Fiber 37 g148%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 274 g548.5%
Vitamin A 1308.7% Vitamin C 442.5%
Calcium 93.7% Iron 340.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet