Kansas City Style Bbq Chicken
|Garlic powder||1 3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Chicken||4 Pound, trimmed of visible fat but not skinned (1 Piece)|
|Ketchup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Packed dark brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray; prepare the grill tor indirect heating.
2. Combine the paprika, 1 1/4 teaspoons of the garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of the chili powder, the salt, and pepper in a bowl.
3. Cut out the chicken's backbone with poultry shears. Open the chicken out flat, skin-side up. With your fingers, loosen the skin over the breasts, legs, and thighs, and spread the paprika mixture under the skin. Let stand 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine the ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and chili powder. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring often.
5. Place the chicken, skin-side up, over the indirect heat section of the grill. Grill 20 minutes, turn, and grill 20 minutes longer.Turn the chicken skin-side up; carefully remove the skin with tongs and discard. Grill the chicken 10 minutes more. Brush the chicken with half of the sauce and continue grilling until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, and 170°F when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, 10-15 minutes longer. Remove from the grill, cover loosely with foil, and let stand 5 minutes before cutting into serving pieces. Cut each breast half horizontally in half.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3840 Calories from Fat 1842
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 205 g315.2%
Saturated Fat 57.9 g289.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1215.6 mg405.2%
Sodium 6160.2 mg256.7%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g36.9%
Sugars 93.2 g
Protein 373 g745.4%
Vitamin A 215.7% Vitamin C 29.9%
Calcium 32.7% Iron 115.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet