Salt "Baked" Chicken
|Corn fed chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound (1.5 Kilogram)|
|Sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coarse salt||5 Pound (2.25 Kilogram)|
|Vegetable oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Fresh root ginger piece||1 Inch, finely chopped|
|Onions spring||4 , cut into thin rings|
|Boiled rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), garnished with shredded spring onions (For Serving)|
1. Rinse the chicken and pat dry, inside and out, with kitchen paper. Rub the inside with the sea salt.
2. Place four pieces of damp kitchen paper on the base of a heavy-based wok or frying pan just large enough to hold the chicken.
3. Sprinkle a layer of rock salt over the kitchen paper, about 1cm/1/2 in thick. Place the chicken on top.
4. Pour the remaining salt over the chicken until it is completely covered. Dampen six more pieces of kitchen paper and place them around the rim of the wok or frying pan. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Put the wok or frying pan over a high heat for 10 minutes, or until it gives off a slightly smoky smell.
5. Immediately reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook the chicken for 30 minutes without lifting the lid. Then turn off the heat and leave for a further 10 minutes before carefully lifting the chicken out of the salt. Brush off any salt still clinging to the chicken and allow it to cool for 20 minutes before cutting it into serving-size pieces.
6. Heat the oil in a small saucepan until it is very hot. Add the ginger and spring onions and fry for a few seconds, then pour into a heatproof bowl and use as a dipping sauce for the chicken. Transfer the chicken to a warm serving plate and serve immediately with boiled rice, garnished with shredded spring onions.
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.9%
Saturated Fat 6.5 g32.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 133 mg44.3%
Sodium 590.5 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.33 g1.3%
Sugars 0.2 g
Protein 41 g82.8%
Vitamin A 5.4% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 13%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet