Country Roast Chicken
|Broiler fryer chicken||2|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White rice and wild rice mix||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rosemary leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Bacon drippings/1/4 cup / 1/2 stick butter / margarine, melted||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Remove giblets and necks from chicken packages and place (except livers) with water and salt in a small saucepan; cover. Simmer 45 minutes. Add livers; cover; simmer for 15 minutes longer; cool.
2. Remove giblets and necks from broth; reserve broth. Chop giblets and the meat from necks; place in a large bowl; stir in stuffing mix.
3. Add water to reserved broth to make up amount of liquid called for on rice label.
4. Saute onion and celery in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine for 5 minutes in a medium-size saucepan. Add rice mix and cook as label directs; stir into giblet mixture in bowl; toss until evenly moistened.
5. Stuff neck and body cavities lightly with stuffing. Skewer neck skin to back; close body cavity and tie legs to tail. Place chickens on rack in roasting pan. Combine the rosemary with bacon drippings or melted butter or margarine; brush part on chickens.
6. Roast in moderate oven (350°), basting every 30 minutes, for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
7. Place on heated serving platter. Garnish with watercress, if you wish.