Country Roast Chicken
|Broiler fryer chicken||2|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White rice and wild rice mix||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Sliced celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rosemary leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Bacon drippings/1/4 cup / 1/2 stick butter / margarine, melted||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Remove giblets and necks from chicken packages and place (except livers) with water and salt in a small saucepan; cover. Simmer 45 minutes. Add livers; cover; simmer for 15 minutes longer; cool.
2. Remove giblets and necks from broth; reserve broth. Chop giblets and the meat from necks; place in a large bowl; stir in stuffing mix.
3. Add water to reserved broth to make up amount of liquid called for on rice label.
4. Saute onion and celery in the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine for 5 minutes in a medium-size saucepan. Add rice mix and cook as label directs; stir into giblet mixture in bowl; toss until evenly moistened.
5. Stuff neck and body cavities lightly with stuffing. Skewer neck skin to back; close body cavity and tie legs to tail. Place chickens on rack in roasting pan. Combine the rosemary with bacon drippings or melted butter or margarine; brush part on chickens.
6. Roast in moderate oven (350°), basting every 30 minutes, for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender.
7. Place on heated serving platter. Garnish with watercress, if you wish.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7436 Calories from Fat 4793
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 532 g818.7%
Saturated Fat 169.1 g845.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2368.9 mg789.6%
Sodium 3423.1 mg142.6%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25.3%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 566 g1131.1%
Vitamin A 105.9% Vitamin C 109.4%
Calcium 41.7% Iron 154.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet