General Tsao's Chicken
|Boneless chicken breasts||1 Pound, cut into 1-inch/2.5-cm pieces|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Corn starch||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg white||1 , beaten until frothy|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried hot chili peppers||3 , broken in half|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Ginger root piece||1 , peeled and finely chopped (1-inch/2.5-cm)|
|White wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|White wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn starch||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. Place chicken pieces into a glass bowl. Combine 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce and 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch. Blend in beaten egg white. Pour over chicken and toss to coat well. Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. In a wok, heat oil. Deep-fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, about 1 minute, or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel. Pour all but 2 tbsp (25 ml) oil out of wok.
3. To the wok add chili peppers, garlic and ginger; stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine remaining soy sauce, vinegar, white wine and 1 tsp (5 ml) cornstarch; mix until smooth. Stir in sugar, sesame oil and salt. Pour into wok and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes, until thickened.
5. Return chicken pieces to wok. Mix well and serve immediately.