Baked Coconut Chicken With Spicy Mashed Parsnip
|Chicken||3 1⁄4 Pound (1 Chicken, 1 1/2 Kilogram)|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Shredded ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Coconut milk||3 1⁄2 Fluid Ounce (100 Milliliter)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Cashew nuts||1 Ounce (30 Gram)|
|Sultanas||1 Ounce (30 Gram)|
|For the spicy mashed parsnip:|
|Parsnips||2 Pound, coarsely chopped (900 Gram)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 , deseeded and diced|
|Green chilli||1 , chopped|
|Mango powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh mint||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Skin the chicken and cut it into about 8 pieces.
2. Heat the oil in a kadahi, wok or deep frying pan over a moderate heat and add the onion, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, 3 tablespoons of the coconut milk, the chilli powder, sugar and lemon juice with 150 ml / 1/4 pint of water and salt to taste. Cook until semi-dry.
3. Add the fresh coriander, cashew nuts and sultanas. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes over a low heat.
4. Now add the chicken pieces, followed by the remaining coconut milk. Transfer this to an ovenproof dish and cook in the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
5. While the chicken is cooking, make the spicy mashed parsnip: cook the parsnips in boiling salted for about 15-18 minutes, until tender. Drain well and mash them using a potato masher. Place in a mixing bowl and add the olive oil, the diced red pepper, green chilli, mango powder, coriander, mint and salt to taste. Blend everything together.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4556 Calories from Fat 2281
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 257 g395.2%
Saturated Fat 78.5 g392.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 987.7 mg329.2%
Sodium 1547.7 mg64.5%
Total Carbohydrates 244 g81.2%
Dietary Fiber 58.7 g234.9%
Sugars 84.3 g
Protein 323 g646.5%
Vitamin A 136.7% Vitamin C 496.7%
Calcium 71.2% Iron 133%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet