Little Red Hens
|Frozen white and wild rice||10 Ounce (1 Package, Boil Bag Pack)|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Butter||5 Tablespoon, softened|
|Green peppercorns in brine||2 Teaspoon, drained (2 Heaping Teaspoon)|
|Fresh sage||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Fresh parsley||10 Teaspoon, chopped (3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Whole cornish hen||4 , washed and dried (Rock Cornish)|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Cayenne||1 Pinch (To Taste)|
|Chicken stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As Needed)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350F°
2) In a pot, cook the rice, as per the package directions.
3) Allow the rice to cool.
4) In a bowl, place cream cheese and gently fold in the rice.
5) In a non-stick pan, heat 4 tablespoons of butter and sauté onion and garlic until soft.
6) Stir the onion mixture in rice and cream cheese.
7) Mix in peppercorns, sage, 3 tablespoons parsley, pecans, salt, and pepper.
8) Fill the birds with rice mixture, mounding slightly.
9) Grease each bird with remaining softened butter.
10) In a bowl, mix together paprika, garlic powder, remaining parsley, thyme, cayenne, and salt.
11) Massage spice mixture over birds, covering completely.
12) In small roasting pan, arrange the birds
13) Stream the vermouth and chicken stock into bottom of pan to a depth of about 1/4 inch.
14) Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes until juices run clear.
15) Place the birds on warm platter and keep warm.
16) Using 1/3 cup of vermouth and 1/3 cup of chicken stock, deglaze pan.
17) Heat the roasting pan on medium heat until the vermouth mixture slightly thickens.
18) Serve gravy in sauce bowl on side with Little Red Hens.
Calories 631 Calories from Fat 363
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 41 g63.3%
Saturated Fat 15.7 g78.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 172.5 mg57.5%
Sodium 267.6 mg11.2%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.3%
Sugars 3.4 g
Protein 27 g54.8%
Vitamin A 88.9% Vitamin C 29.1%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 22.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet