Ellegant Stuffed Chicken
|Broiler fryer||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Green onions||2 , minced|
|Ground pork||3⁄4 Pound|
|White bread slices||2 , diced|
|Milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||1 Tablespoon|
|Salad oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken bouillon cube/Envelope||1|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley sprigs||1 (For Garnish)|
1. Set chicken liver aside; reserve remaining giblets and neck for use another day. Rinsechicken and refrigerate. Prepare stuffing: Mince liver. In 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, in hot butter or margarine, cook onions and liver until liver is firm; remove saucepan from heat. Stir in ground pork, bread, egg, milk, salt, and 1/4 cup sherry; cover and refrigerate stuffing.
2. Bone chicken: Place chicken, breast side down, on cutting board. Cut along both sides of backbone; discard bone. Spread chicken open, breast side down, to expose rib cage. With sharp knife, cut through white cartilage at "V" of neck, being careful not to tear skin. Hold chicken breast at neck and tail ends; bend back to expose breastbone. Remove breastbone. Cut out wishbone and discard. Then, working with one side of breast at a time, insert knife under rib cage and scrape meat free, lifting ribs away from breast as you work. Using same scraping motion, and with tip of small knife, remove hipbones from thighs and discard.
3. Spread stuffing mixture over inside of boned chicken. Pull meat and skin over stuffing and skewer closed. To reshape bird, turn chicken breast side up. Starting at neck end, with string across top of breast, bring ends of string under wings and legs; tie legs together. Fold wings under back to hold chicken steady.
4. Insert meat thermometer between breast and thigh into center of stuffing; brush bird with salad oil. Place bird, breast side up, on rack in open roasting pan. Roast in 350°F. oven about 1 1/2 hours or until meat thermometer reaches 170°F. During last 15 minutes of roasting time, brush chicken generously with pan drippings for an attractive sheen.
5. When chicken is done, place on warm platter; keep warm. For gravy, remove rack from pan; skim all but 2 tablespoons fat from pan, leaving pan liquid and brown bits. Add water and bouillon to roasting pan; over medium heat, heat mixture to boiling, stirring to loosen brown bits. In cup, mix flour and 1/4 cup sherry. Gradually stir flour mixture into hot liquid in pan; cook over medium heat, stirring until gravy thickens.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5010 Calories from Fat 3228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 358 g551.2%
Saturated Fat 114.3 g571.5%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 1719.1 mg573%
Sodium 4110.2 mg171.3%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.6 g10.3%
Sugars 5 g
Protein 368 g735.8%
Vitamin A 87.5% Vitamin C 67.2%
Calcium 36.3% Iron 112%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet