Basic Braised Chicken
|Fresh ginger root slices||3|
|Soy sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chinese parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. With a cleaver, chop chicken in 1 1/2 to 2-inch sections. Trim scallion stalk and slice ginger root.
2. Heat oil in a large heavy pan and brown chicken sections quickly.
3. Add sherry, soy sauce, water, salt, scallions and ginger root. Bring to a boil; then simmer, covered, 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Add sugar and simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes more.
5. Transfer chicken sections to a serving bowl. Strain sauce and pour over. Garnish with Chinese parsley and serve.