Braised Pheasant With Chestnut Puree And Orange
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||2 Small, sliced|
|Celery stalks||3 , sliced|
|White wine/Cider||1⁄4 Pint|
|Mixed herbs||1 Tablespoon|
|Chestnut puree||17 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Large Tin)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit, 180 degree Celsius.
2. In a casserole melt 1 to 1 1/2 ounce butter and start browning the pheasant slowly, making sure it is evenly browned all over.
3. Take it out and keep it aside.
4. Add the onions, carrots and celery to the casserole and brown them a little bit.
5. Just before the vegetables start browning add flour and let it cook for a few more minutes.
6. Pour the stock and cider or wine, give it a good stir and bring it to a boil.
7. Lower the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes.
8. Now add 3 strips of orange rind, herbs and seasoning and put in the pheasant.
9. Pour some of the sauce on the pheasant, put on a lid and put it in the preheated oven for about 50 minutes or until the pheasant is tender.
10. Take out the pheasant, boil the liquid a little bit, let it cool and puree it into a liquidizer until it becomes a smooth sauce.
11. Season as per your taste and re heat.
12. In a pan melt 1 ounce of butter add the chestnut puree and cook it for a few minutes or until it becomes soft adding 2-3 tablespoons of concentrated stock and seasoning.
13. Take out the orange rind and cut it into thin shreds.
14. In a pan boil some water, cook it for a few minutes, drain and put in cold water so that it restores its colour.
15. With a sharp knife take off the white pith and skin from orange and divide into segments.
16. In a serving dish spread the sauce in the centre and arrange the carved slices and joints of the pheasant on top.
17. Pour the sauce all over the bird; arrange the orange segments around the edge of the dish and the orange strips down centre.
18. Serve it hot with your favourite style pf potatoes either fried or croquette and some green vegetable.