Chocolate and Chestnut Cream Vacherin
|Caster sugar||12 Ounce (350 Grams)|
|Hazelnuts||3 Ounce, skinned, toasted and finely chopped (75 Grams)|
|Plain chocolate||6 Ounce, broken into pieces (175 Grams)|
|Sweetened chestnut puree||1 Pound (1 Can / 500 Grams)|
|Double cream||10 Fluid Ounce (1 Carton / 284 Milliliter)|
|Whipped cream||2 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
|Cocoa powder||1 Tablespoon (For Decoration)|
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C (275°F)
2. Line three baking sheets with non-stick baking parchment and draw a 20.5 cm (8 inch) circle on each.
3. In a bowl stiffly whisk - the egg whites and then gradually sugar, a little at a time, whisking well until the meringue is smooth and shiny.
4. Very lightly fold in the hazelnuts and spread the mixture over the marked circles.
5. Alternately transfer the mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1 cm (1/2 inch) plain nozzle and pipe the meringue in a spiral over the marked circles, starting from the centre.
6. Bake in the preheated oven at mark 1 for 1-1 1/2 hours until dried out.
7. Change the positions of the baking sheets during cooking so that the meringues dry out evenly.
8. Remove from the oven, let it to cool and then carefully remove the lining papers.
9. Store in airtight containers until required.
10. set a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt the chocolate in it.
11. in a bowl beat the chestnut puree until softened and stir in the melted chocolate.
12. Lightly whip the cream until soft peaks form and fold it into the chestnut mixture.
13. To assemble the vacherin sandwich the meringues together with a little of the chestnut cream.
14. Cover the top and sides with the remainder, decorate with whipped cream and cocoa powder and serve.
Calories 787 Calories from Fat 387
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.9%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.1 mg2.4%
Sodium 53.2 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 95 g31.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.6%
Sugars 73.3 g
Protein 10 g20.4%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet