Chocolate Chestnut Gateau
|Cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot milk||2 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||4 Ounce, softened|
|Caster sugar||4 Ounce|
|Almonds||2 Ounce, ground|
|Almond essence||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Plain chocolate||2 Ounce, melted|
|Coffee essence||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Canned sweetened chestnut spread||8 Ounce (1 can)|
|Double cream||1⁄2 Pint, whipped|
|Grated chocolate||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
2) Grease a deep round cake tin of 8-inches. Use non-stick parchment or greased greaseproof paper to line it.
3) With sifted flour, dust the inside of the prepared tin.
4) Blend together the milk and cocoa. Set aside to cool.
5) Into a bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
6) Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the egg whites, and then add the cooled milk-cocoa mixture.
7) Beat the concoction for 2 to 3 minutes, till the ingredients have all blended well.
8) Beat the egg whites till they are stiff and then fold them into the cake mixture till blended evenly.
9) Into the prepared tin, spoon the mixture.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or till firm to touch.
11) Turn the preparation out and cool it on a wire rack. Take off the paper lining. Cut the cake in half.
12) If you want to freeze the cake, flash freeze the slices first, till they are firm and then wrap in cling film. Pack the cake slices in a freezer bag, seal, label and return to the freezer.
13) In a bowl, out half of the chestnut spread and fold in half of the whipped cream, along with the brandy.
14) If using frozen cake halves, take them out of the freezer, remove the wrappings and thaw the cakes in the fridge overnight. Prepare the icing mixture as directed in Step 13.
15) With the mixture, sandwich the cake halves together and spread the remaining mixture over the top and around the edges of the cake.
16) In the center, scatter the grated chocolate.
17) Place the cake on a decorative serving platter once the icing and garnish have set and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. Makes a good dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4184 Calories from Fat 2454
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 278 g428.1%
Saturated Fat 79.3 g396.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 669.8 mg223.3%
Sodium 377.8 mg15.7%
Total Carbohydrates 379 g126.3%
Dietary Fiber 22.6 g90.6%
Sugars 298.4 g
Protein 45 g89.8%
Vitamin A 67% Vitamin C
Calcium 51.8% Iron 73.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet