Casserole Of Turkey And Chestnuts
|Dried mushrooms||1 Ounce|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon|
|Turkey breast||5 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes (Raw)|
|Finely chopped onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), chopped|
|Meat glaze||2 Teaspoon (Bovril)|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Turkey stock/Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dry white bordeaux wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooked chestnuts||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/4-inch dices, slit chestnuts in the shape of a cross, roast them for 30 minutes in a 375°f. oven, then peel and dice|
|Sour cream||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. One hour before preparing, cover the dried mushrooms with 1 cup boiling water and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Cut the turkey or turkey roast into 1-inch cubes. Melt the butter in a skillet and brown the turkey cubes, a few at a time. Add a little more butter during the browning, if necessary. Transfer the cubes as they are done to an ovenproof casserole with a lid. After all the turkey has been browned and placed in the casserole, put the skillet over low heat and add the brandy to whatever juices there are in the skillet, scraping to loosen the bits which have stuck to the side during the process of browning.
4. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Chop them finely and add them with the onion and garlic to the liquid in the skillet. Stir in the meat glaze, tomato paste, and flour, mixing thoroughly over low heat. Gradually add the mushroom liquid, chicken stock and wine. Cook the mixture slowly, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then pour the sauce over the turkey in the casserole and mix in the cooked chestnuts.
5. Cover and bake for 35 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the sour cream and reheat very briefly. After the sour cream has been added, don't allow it to come to a boil again, as it will curdle. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley just before serving. If the casserole is to be frozen or refrigerated, do not stir in the sour cream until it has been defrosted and/or reheated.
6. Cover and cook until tender over very low heat.
7. Puree with the remaining butter. Stir in grated peel and reheat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.