Creamy Chestnut Savory
|Dried chestnuts/1 pound fresh chestnuts||8 Ounce, soaked overnight|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , finely chopped|
|Flour||2 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Cold milk||1⁄2 Pint|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Ground ginger/Fresh ginger root||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled), scraped and chopped|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|White breadcrumbs||4 Ounce|
|Gruyere cheese||2 Ounce, grated|
1) In a pan, steam the soaked chestnuts for about 30 minutes until they are soft.
2) Alternately, slit the skins of the fresh chestnuts, steam for about 40 minutes and immediately peel them.
3) In a covered pan, gently saute the onion and celery in the butter or margarine in until softened.
4) Stir in the flour and milk, then allow to boil until thickened.
5) Stir in the chestnuts and seasonings, then allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
6) Add half of the breadcrumbs and stir well until the mixture is thick and creamy.
7) In a greased shallow ovenproof dish, pour the mixture and sprinkle with the rest of the crumbs alongwith the grated cheese.
8) Place on the top shelf of a moderate oven and bake until it is brown and crisp on top.
9) Serve immediately in a nice dish with the sauteed mushrooms, green vegetables and tomatoes.
Calories 814 Calories from Fat 262
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g45.7%
Saturated Fat 16.2 g80.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 73.7 mg24.6%
Sodium 1151.9 mg48%
Total Carbohydrates 115 g38.4%
Dietary Fiber 10.2 g40.9%
Sugars 26.5 g
Protein 23 g46%
Vitamin A 18.6% Vitamin C 14.9%
Calcium 55.6% Iron 17.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet