Faux Cherries Jubilee
|White grape juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Frozen unsweetened cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed|
|Brandy extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Low fat milk||1 Quart, divided|
1. In a medium-size saucepan, add 1 cup of the low-fat milk and add honey, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract to it. Stir.
2. Add remaining low-fat milk and heat to scalding, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 to 30 minutes to allow vanilla bean flavor to infuse into the milk.
4. Remove vanilla bean and instead of discarding it, add it to a jar of milk that can be used for beverages if you like.
5. Pour the vanilla milk into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions
5. Turn milk into a large pan and place in freezer until semi frozen. Remove from freezer, beat with electric whip to break down ice crystals, and then return to freezer. Repeat this procedure twice.
6. Turn iced milk into two 1-quart containers and freeze until ready to serve.
7. In a small saucepan, blend cornstarch and grape juice.
8. Add cherries to the pan and place over medium-low heat.
9. Cook the mixture, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens about 4 to 5 minutes.
10. Take pan off the heat and stir brandy extract into the cherry sauce. Allow it to cool.
11. Scoop the ice milk into 4 dessert glasses.
12. Spoon the sauce over it and top with some more ice milk.
13. Serve the Faux Cherries Jubilee immediately.
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 8
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.9 g1.4%
Saturated Fat 0.28 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.7 mg1.6%
Sodium 124.8 mg5.2%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g14.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.6%
Sugars 41.2 g
Protein 9 g17.1%
Vitamin A 1.8% Vitamin C 13.9%
Calcium 29.9% Iron 1.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet