Almond And Cherry Squares
|Plain flour||3 Ounce, sifted (75 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||1 Ounce|
|Margarine/Butter||2 Ounce, softened (50 Gram)|
|Glace cherries||8 Ounce, halved (225 Gram)|
|Margarine||2 Ounce, softened (50 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Egg||1 Large, beaten|
|Ground almonds||50 Gram|
|Almond essence||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||5 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
1. Let the oven heat to 375°F (190°C/Gas 5) and grease and line a 20 cm (8 in) square tin.
2. Combine the flour, salt and sugar together and rub or cut in the fat until the mixture begins to stick together.
3. Into the prepared tin press this and smooth using a palette knife.
4. Over the top of the pastry place the cherry halves, flat side down, in neat rows, fairly close together.
5. Cream the margarine and sugar together such that light and fluffy.
6. Put in the egg and beat well.
7. Whisk in the almonds and almond essence.
8. If the mixture is too stiff, put in a little milk.
9. Over the cherries and pastry spoon the mixture.
10. Let it bake for 35—40 minutes until lightly browned.
11. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tin before cutting into 16 squares.
12. On to a wire rack lift the squares carefully to cool completely.