|Black cherries||9 Ounce, stoned (Or Red, 250 Gram)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram, At Room Temperature)|
|White bread slices/Brown bread slices||6 Large, crusts removed, if wished|
|Milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Vanilla flavoring||3 Drop|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Tablespoon (Extra For Greasing)|
1. Generously grease an 850 ml/ 1 1/2 pint shallow pie dish.
2. Butter the bread, then cut each slice diagonally in half. Arrange 6 bread triangles, buttered side up and overlapping if necessary, over the base of the prepared dish. Scatter over the prepared cherries, then sprinkle over 2 tablespoons sugar.
3. Add remaining bread triangles and sprinkle over the rest of the sugar. Do not worry if a few cherries show around the edge of the dish or between the bread slices.
4. Whisk the eggs with the milk and vanilla and strain over the bread. Leave the pudding to stand in a cool place for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
6. Bake the pudding in the oven for 40-45 minutes, until set and lightly browned. Serve the cherry layer pudding at once, while it is still puffed up.