Cherry Almond Patisserie
|Pie crust mix||16 1⁄2 Ounce (1 1/2 Packages)|
|Canned tart pitted cherries||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Red food color||1 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Dried bread crumbs||6 Tablespoon (Packaged)|
|Ground blanched almonds||6 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark corn syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Day before, or early on day:
1. Prepare piecrust mix as package labels direct; refrigerate. Meanwhile, in small bowl combine cherries, food color, and almond extract; in a second bowl combine bread crumbs, ground almonds, and sugar; set aside.
2. On large, floured cookie sheet, roll out pastry to within 1/2 inch of edges of sheet; then, with floured pastry wheel or knife, cut it into a wide oval about 16 by 11 inches; reserve trimmings.
3. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
4. Now sprinkle half of crumb-almond mixture down lengthwise center of pastry oval to within 1 inch of each end. Top with cherry mixture, then rest of crumb-almond mixture. Fold long sides of pastry over filling, overlapping them about 3 inches on top. Fold ends up 1 inch to seal in filling; brush with egg yolk, beaten with 1 teaspoon water.
5. On floured surface, roll pastry trimmings into rectangle about 10 by 5 inches; with knife or pastry wheel, cut lengthwise into 10 1/2-inch strips. Place 1 pastry strip over cut edge of each folded end of patisserie; then crisscross remaining strips across its top and sides; trim ends of strips, leaving about 1/2 inch to tuck under as pictured. Brush with remaining egg yolk.
6. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until rich golden-brown. Then remove from oven and quickly brush top and sides with corn syrup. If desired, decorate top by laving a few almond halves on corn syrup. With spatula, slide patisserie onto wire rack; cool; wrap in foil.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3739 Calories from Fat 1471
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 167 g256.8%
Saturated Fat 39.9 g199.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg61.7%
Sodium 4346.3 mg181.1%
Total Carbohydrates 514 g171.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.5 g41.9%
Sugars 161.7 g
Protein 55 g110.4%
Vitamin A 72.7% Vitamin C 15.9%
Calcium 53.5% Iron 120.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet