Carrot Cheesecake With Nut Crumb Crust
|Carrots||3⁄4 Pound, cut in to 2 inch chunks|
|Fine graham cracker crumbs||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Fine gingersnap crumbs||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Finely ground pecans/Walnuts plus 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans / walnuts||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon (At Room Temperature)|
|Packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced preserved ginger||4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated orange zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream cheese||1 Pound, cut into small cubes and softened|
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the carrots, cover and cook over moderate heat until very tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker and gingersnap crumbs with the 2/3 cup ground nuts and the granulated sugar; toss well. Work in the butter until the mixture is uniformly crumbly.
3. Pat the crust mixture over the bottom and up the sides of a buttered 9-inch springform pan. Bake the crust for 5 to 7 minutes, until firm. Remove from the oven and set aside. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°.
4. When the carrots are done, drain well. Return them to the pan and cook over moderate heat, shaking the pan, to cook off any excess moisture. Transfer the carrots to a food processor and puree for 30 seconds; scrape down the sides of the bowl and puree for 30 seconds longer, until absolutely smooth.
5. Add the brown sugar, ginger, lemon juice, orange zest, cinnamon, mace and allspice to the processor and puree for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and puree for 30 seconds longer. Let the mixture stand until cool.
6. Add the cream cheese and puree for 1 minute, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl every 20 seconds.
7. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, by turning the machine on and off 5 times after each addition. Pour the mixture into the crust and scatter the 1/4 cup chopped nuts over the top.
8. Bake for about 50 minutes, until softly set and a cake tester inserted midway between the center and the edge comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cover loosely and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before serving.